Mold in Houseplants

Houseplants are a great way to purify the air in your home. Unfortunately, sometimes your houseplants develop mold and therefore become more of a detriment to the air than a benefit. Mold can be caused by a number of things including poor maintenance, over-watering, or lack of sunlight. Mold growing on the houseplants’ soil or on the actual leaves of the plant is both harmful for the members of the household and for the plants. Luckily, there are ways of getting rid of this mold.

Scoop Away the Mold

If you see mold on your soil, it is likely confined to the top layer. You can use a spoon to easily remove the mold. The visible mold in your soil is like a saprophyte, which is harmless to you and your family. However, leaving the mold there will leave your plant susceptible to root rot. If there is an extensive amount of mold—if it has spread to the pot itself—repot the plant. Use high-quality potting soil.

Let the Soil Dry

Once the mold is scooped out, or your plant has been repotted, allow the soil to dry out before watering it again. If your plant requires moist soil, wait until the surface is dry. If not, you should wait until you have dry soil 2 or 3 inches down. Continue letting your soil dry like this in between watering.

Add a Natural Anti-Fungal to Your Soil

The mold spores are likely to be spread through the soil and it will easily come back if you don’t do this. You can sprinkle cinnamon, baking soda, or apple cider vinegar on top of your soil as natural an anti-fungal. This acts as a natural deterrent to mold growth and won’t harm your plant.

Keep the Soil Clean

Keep debris like rotting leaves and plant parts off of your soil. They can cause fungal growth. Trim your plants whenever necessary.

Visit our website at:  Biowashing.com